Paranormal Psychic Forums

Psychic paranormal community Forums for like minded individuals who wish to connect, chat and share.

The Geminids Are Here

Bringing some of the mysteries of the universe a little closer to home.

Owlscrying

Unread post Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:53 pm

"With August's Perseids obscured by bright moonlight, the Geminids will be the best shower this year," said Bill Cooke with NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office. "The thin, waning crescent Moon won't spoil the show."

The shower will peak overnight Dec. 13-14 with rates around one per minute under good conditions, according to Cooke. Geminids can be seen on nights before and after the Dec. 14 peak, although they will appear less frequently.

"Geminid activity is broad," said Cooke. "Good rates will be seen between 7:30 p.m. on Dec. 13 and dawn local time the morning of Dec. 14, with the most meteors visible from midnight to 4 a.m. on Dec. 14, when the radiant is highest in the sky."

The Geminids are active every December, when Earth passes through a massive trail of dusty debris shed by a weird, rocky object named 3200 Phaethon. The dust and grit burn up when they run into Earth's atmosphere in a flurry of "shooting stars."

The Geminids can be seen with the naked eye under clear, dark skies over most of the world, though the best view is from the Northern Hemisphere. Observers will see fewer Geminids in the Southern Hemisphere, where the radiant doesn't climb very high over the horizon.

Source

Owlscrying

Unread post Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:54 pm

The Geminid meteor shower will put on a dazzling show for skywatchers when it peaks on December 13, 2017.

Owlscrying

Unread post Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:50 pm

The Geminids occur every year from about December 4 to 16, peaking the night of December 13 into the morning of December 14.

The constellation Gemini is the radiant of the Geminid meteor shower, which means that it is the meteor shower’s point of origin. The Geminid meteors will appear to fall away from the constellation Gemini. Geminid meteors can be seen all night long because Gemini rises so early, and Gemini is at its highest point (offering optimal viewing) a little after midnight. Because the sun sets so early in December, the meteor shower is in full swing by 9 p.m.

The Geminid meteors also move more slowly than other meteors, such as the Perseids. The decrease in speed makes viewing much easier.

The meteors can appear anywhere in the sky, but you’ll have the best luck by gazing at whatever part of the sky is darkest at your location. Though it might be tempting, avoid using binoculars or a telescope. It is better to look at the whole sky than a tiny part of it, and your eyes will automatically move toward any motion up above.

Source

Samanthaj

Unread post Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:36 am

:clapp: Will be looking out

The last shower we had was great. I was driving back home around 2am and saw so many, maybe one every minute..

it's the small things... :thumbsup:

Thanks Owl
"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A. A. Milne

curb9

Unread post Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:07 pm

I was able to see four meteors last night during the geminids shower. I was only lying and looking out a window while I fell asleep so I was very pleased :)

Thank you for reminding us to look to the sky

Return to “The Universe”

• Information