The most frequent questions from our members have been added below. More are being compiled for future addition. If you don't find the answer you are looking for take a look at our For Eveything ABT Forum board. Still can't find the answer then Contact Us.
General Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. What does ABT mean?
- ABT is an abbreviation for Anybodythere.net. Which is used frequently in chat dialogue and forum posts.
- 2. How do I get a reading on the website?
There are two types of reading available on ABT: a) Chat Readings and b) Forum Readings.
Both types of readings are explained in their relevant sections below.
- 3. What is a Sitter?
- A Sitter is the person receiving a psychic or medium reading.
- 4. What is a Reader?
A Reader on ABT refers to either: a) Members Reader or b) Developing Psychic.
Both are explained below.
- 5. What is a Members Reader?
- A Members Reader is a long-term member who participates within the community and are helpful in chat. After proving credibility, reliability and ethics, these are the only readers on the site permitted to do private readings.
- 6. What is a Developing Psychic?
- A Developing Psychic is a fully fledged psychic in the making. Here to practice, develop and fine tune their abilities.
- 7. Why are the top navigation buttons not showing on the website?
ABT is now a responsive website making it more accessible using mobile devices. Which means that if you are using a PC or MAC desktop or laptop with a small monitor/screen or your browser window
isn't full size, the layout of the website may re-adjust to suit your screen display.
When this happens the 'normal' top navigation buttons are replaced with the mobile navigation icon (see image left). The icon can be found in the top right corner of the website. Click to see the drop down navigation buttons.
- CLOSE X
Chat Community Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. How do I get a reading in chat?
You must be an active member in the chat rooms for a couple of weeks before asking for a reading. Unless you are approached by one of our Member Readers or Developing Psychics.
Instant readings though are quite rare.
If there is no-one available to read, come back to chat at another time. Alternatively you can leave a reading request on the 'Readers' Bio page on the forum. See Readers page for a list of all Readers Bio's. To leave a request on the forum you will need to Register.
Not all readers are available for Chat readings please read their bio carefully before asking.
- 2. Why aren’t people talking about paranormal topics in the Lobby/Meet & Greet/Lounge?
- These are 'common' rooms and are used for general chat and welcoming newcomers. General chat is for open conversation on any topic, to socialize and to share stories or daily life experiences. If you have a paranormal topic in mind, say so, and take it to an appropriate room. Interested people will follow.
- 3. Where is the chat menu?
- Right click on your screen to get the chat menu. Here you can change your font, turn off emoticons if they annoy you, copy and paste your readings, shut off popups, set notification, sounds, etc.
- 4. How do I know which Chat Rooms have people in them?
- If a room is occupied you will see a small ► click on the arrow to view the username list. An empty room will have a small dot • to the left of room name. Hovering over the room name will show at the bottom of the room list showing how many people are in the room.
- 5. How do I move from one room to another?
- To move to another room simply double click on the name of the room or the door on the right. If your mobile device interferes, ask a MOD to move you.
- 6. Why was I moved suddenly to another room?
- Meet and Greet is the MODerators main room. Welcoming newcomers is their first focus. Members are welcome to hang out here and help. Chat room MOderators can move a group into an appropriate room; good conversations gets interrupted with the niceties that happen over and over again as newcomers enter chat. "Heavy Topics" should definitively not take place in meet and greet. Please respect a MODerators request to move a conversation to more appropriate room. If you find you have been moved to another room but were not interested in the topic/conversation, feel free to go back to meet & greet or choose another room.
- 7. How can I get my own avatar for Chat?
- The first 10 avatars are for general use and are not assigned to anyone. Chat application can only hold a limited number of picture Avatars and these are reserved for Moderators and readers and occasionally long term members who are often in chat and helpful. Using another's avatar is impolite, whether they are online or not. If you use an avatar that belongs to a member you will be asked to choose one of the “General Use Avatars”.
- 8. How do I change my chat room status to “Away” (coffee cup icon)?
- Above the list of room names there is a drop-down menu. Click on the menu and choose “Away”. When you return, repeat and choose “Online”.
- 9. Why can’t I open a link from the chat window?
- Hold down the “Ctrl” key and click on the link, this often works when other options fail.
- 10. How do members type long usernames so quickly?
- Click on usernames in the chat window to automatic place their usernames in your text.
- 11. I'm new to chat why can I not read other chat members?
- Please understand that this rule has to be enforced. If we permitted anybody and everybody to practice readings here, the site itself would lose credibility. This is to protect the site's reputation and it's members.
- 12. Is flirting allowed in chat?
- flirting to be in PRIVATE only not in public. We are a community with members that range in age from teens - grannies.
- 13. What does trolling and flamebaiting mean?
- A 'troll' is someone who's purpose is to intentionally create disruption, provoke, bait and offend members for personal amusement. Trolls who verbally abuse, attack, embarrass, or threaten in the chat room will be banned. Please DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS ~ No matter what they might say to you. If a MODerator is not present, please please please use the IGNORE option, and report the users name.
- 14. Is there an age limit for reading in chat?
- No readings are allowed in chat by any person under the age of 18 years of age. Except the Picture Readings event held in chat (see Events for details).
- 15. What does the different user colours mean in chat?
- Moderator is Red - Member is Blue - Members Reader is Green
- 16. How do I copy text in chat?
You may copy and paste content from the display by selecting the text with your mouse. (Hold left mouse button down and move over text with your mouse. The text will be highlighted).
Next, click the right mouse button (once). A menu will appear with the word 'copy' as the top item in the menu. Press this with your mouse to copy the content from the chat display.
To copy and paste between ABT Chat display and other applications, use the CTRL-C (Copy) and CTRL-V (Paste) keyboard commands.
- CLOSE X
Forum Community Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. How do I get a reading on the Forum?
You can ask any of our 'Developing Psychics' for a reading on the Forum. Read their Bio first as not all Readers do Forum readings and may only be available for Chat readings.
It is up to the Reader whether or not they read for you. Please do not take it personally if you don't receive a reading as they may not feel drawn or have any information for you at that time. See Readers page for a list of all Readers Bio's.
All Forum readings are done in public (on the board) or in some circumstances by PM if the Reader has attained the 50 post minimum post mark for PM's.
All we ask is that if you do have a reading by one of our Developing Psychics please give feedback on their Bio. Feedback is very important for the development of a reader. If you don't give feedback the chances are you won't get another reading in the future.
To receive a reading from one of our 'Members Readers' the same criteria applies as above plus you are required to have 10 quality posts on the Forum before asking.
- 2. What is a PM?
- On the Forums we have a 'Personal Messaging System' in place or otherwise known as a 'PM'. Not all Forum members have PM's. Only Full members with 50 posts or more are able to use the system. Please Note: All members can receive a PM they just can't send a PM.
- 3. 50 posts seems a lot to be able to use the PM System?
- Yes it is. If it was possible we would of liked every member to enjoy the use of PM's but unfortunately it was taken advantage of by spammers. For regular posters once you hit 50 posts you are automatically given PM privileges.
- 4. What do you mean by a 'quality' post?
- A quality post isn't a 'one or two word post'. Please understand that our Members Readers contribute their time and energies to the community here at ABT. They are not here as a drop in center for instant readings.
- 5. Is there an age limit for readings on the Forums?
- This is the same restriction as in chat ie no readings are allowed under the age of 18 years of age. The only exception is the Forum Board: 'A Picture = 1,000 words'. Minors are allowed (within reason) to post pics and participate.
- 6. Certain sections of the Forum are saying Forbidden?
- You may need to 'Update Session'. If you look at the Forum navigation panel click this button and enter your password then everything should be ok. This is a security measure which has been put into place to protect your identity.
- 7. Trying to add video from youtube but its not working?
Click on the Insert Media icon .
This will add the following code to your post box: [media] [/media].
Go to the video page on Youtube and copy the whole URL from the address bar in your browser window.
Paste the URL in between the two media tags: [media] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y-pvVvo58w [/media]
Last thing to do before the video shows is to take out the s in https = http
Result: [media] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y-pvVvo58w [/media]
- 8. Video is now working but how do I make it bigger?
Insert the following code inside the first media tag: width=600, the width can be bigger if you want to ie 700, 800.
[media width=600] [/media]
Now just add the video URL as mentioned in previous question:
[media width=600] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y-pvVvo58w [/media]
- 9. There are so many boards and threads on the forum how can I keep track of my posts?
To keep track of your posts ie who has replied click the link 'Add Topic Notification'.
This can be found at the top of your new post on the right. You can also use the 'Add Topic Notification' even if
you haven't posted but are just interested in another members post or topic.
You will be notified by our forum when there is any new posts via a popup window or if you have a popup blocker the notifications can be found in your User Control Panel 'User CP' in the main navigation of the forum. Click 'User CP' then click 'Posts' in the sub menu below. Notifications can only be received when you visit our forum.
- 10. I registered to be a Forum member but I still can't get in, why?
After you register we send you an email with an activation code, this is to make sure your email address is valid.
Once activated one of our Admin staff will look at your membership registration and manually approve you, this usually happens within 24 hours.
As this is not an automated part of the process please be patient. When applying for membership please take the time to tell us why you want to be a member of our forum.
Unfortunately this is a process we have had to put into place because of the shear amount of spammers applying for membership. Please don't be put off by this approach as it keeps our forum boards free from spam and a place everyone can enjoy using.
- 11. Why do I have to keep logging into the Forum constantly?
Some of you maybe going to the old version of the forum: anybodythere.net/cgi-bin/paranormal-forums/YaBB.pl
The official version is: www.anybodythere.net/cgi-bin/paranormal-forums/YaBB.pl
Make sure you are on the right version (with www.) by looking at the Address Bar in your browser when viewing the Forum boards. If it has www.anybodythere at the beginning you are on the right one.
- 12. The search facility on the forums isn't working?
It is working its just a little bit different from say... searching on google. By just entering a search word or two then clicking 'Search'
it is going to try and search every post on the forum. As you would expect it's going to take some time or even going to bring back an error.
When searching make sure you click on one of the boards that are highlighted in blue on the right, use the scroll bar as necessary, then click the 'Search' button.
This will cut down the amount of posts it's going to search and be a lot quicker in bringing back results.
- 13. What happened to the old search bar?
- The old one was a Google search bar. Even though it was fast it only searched ABT's posts that was indexed in it's own search engine. Many of our posts are not indexed in their search engine so the results were limited.
- 14. What does the Update Session button mean in the forum navigation bar?
- After a certain length of time you may have to re-enter your password by clicking on the button 'Update Session'. This is a security measure put into place to protect your members account.
- 15. I can't access all areas of the forum as before?
- Look for the button 'Update Session' in the forum navigation bar. Click it and enter your password. Everything will become available again as before.
- CLOSE X
- Chat Register Agreement (copy)
Chat Register Agreement
No readings by visitors or guests. Only registered and actively participating Members are granted permission to PRACTICE readings on site. This is also includes private readings both in Chat and the Forums - Unless authorized specifically by site Administrator or Global Moderators. Taking members offsite to side-step this rule could result in a permanent chat ban.
For privacy and as a safety precaution we will discourage posting email addresses etc in the main channel of chat. If you do so privately, ABT is not accountable for conflicts that occur between members off-site.
No Multiple ID's. One username please. You are responsible that your password is kept confidential. No role-playing/BS/impersonations.
No spamming. No recruiting: recruiting site visitors or members with invitations to join other websites, forums/groups, personal or otherwise. "Poaching" members is unacceptable. No advertising: offering services or products for sale is a strictly forbidden.
No Illegal material: absolutely no discussions meant to cause incitement to commit or promote a crime. This includes discussing taking, buying or selling drugs, the sale or promotion of weapons, hacking, pirated software/movies/music or promoting or encouraging violence of any kind.
No Preaching: discussing religion and beliefs is acceptable. However DO NOT attempt to convert or push religious beliefs onto others, we ask that all beliefs be respected.
No Racism, hate speech, trolling or flamebaiting.
No harassment: do not harass, defame, threaten, bully or victimize other members, this includes private messages. Publicly arguing is not permitted, debating is.
No constant profanity, kink. Sexual innuendos aka known as flirting to be in PRIVATE only.
No pestering for Psychic readings in public or private pm.
No self-harm boasting or threatening to commit suicide in Chat: please understand that no-one here is 'qualified' to deal with this. We support many members who have experienced such a tragic loss and are grieving. If you are considering suicide please consult with a medical professional immediately, Volunteer Emotional Support Helplines & Suicide Hotlines.
- Forum Register Agreement (copy)
Forum Register Agreement
You agree, through your use of anybodythere's forums, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually-oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of ANY law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or you have consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also inappropriate to anybodythere's forums.
Do not use the private mailbox's on the forums to ask for repetitive reading requests or to promote Readings in any shape or form. You must not use our website for any purposes related to advertising or marketing without our express written consent.
Note that it is impossible for us to confirm the validity of posts on anybodythere's forums. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages and are not responsible for their content. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The messages express the views of the author, not necessarily the views of anybodythere's forums. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator of this forum immediately. We have the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.
You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless this forum, and any related websites to this forum. We at anybodythere's forums also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any information we have about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any information posted by you. You have the ability, as you register, to choose your username. We advise that you keep the name appropriate. With this user account you are about to register, you agree to never give your password to another member, for your protection and for validity reasons. You also agree to NEVER use another member's account to post messages or browse this forum. After you register and log into anybodythere's forums, you can fill out a detailed profile. It is your responsibility to present clean and accurate information. Any information we deem inaccurate or vulgar will be removed.
Please note that with each post, your IP address is recorded, in the event that you need to be banned from anybodythere's forums or your ISP contacted. This will only happen in the event of a major violation of this agreement. In respect of all material that you post on anybodythere.net forums, you grant to us a worldwide, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free licence to use, reproduce, adapt, publish, translate and distribute such material in any media.
- CLOSE X